The Kidney Foundation of Canada (BC Branch) and the Canadian Society of Nephrology are hosting a fundraiser gala on March 3rd to kick off Kidney Health Month, with goals to raise much-needed funds to help support those suffering with the disease.
The inaugural Shine A Light Kidney Gala, is a cocktail party at Van Dusen Gardens, created to shine a light on kidney disease, an often under recognized and incurable disease. Over 240,000 British Columbians have, or are at risk for, chronic kidney failure and some do not even know they have the disease.
Over the course of the night, guests will hear from several individuals about their personal experiences living with kidney disease, highlighting both the challenges and the celebrations.
There will also be an incredible silent auction that includes the following items and more:
- two round trip tickets anywhere West Jet flies
- BC authored autographed books
- luxury weekend car rental
- glass blowing lessons
- sports tickets
Don’t miss out on this incredible night of libations, hors d’oeuvres, touching stories and great items up for grabs, all in support of a fantastic cause.
What: Inaugural Shine A Light Kidney Gala
Where: Van Dusen Botanical Garden
When: March 3rd, 2013 • 6:30 – 9:30 PM
Cost: $165 (tax receipt for portion of ticket mailed after)
To buy tickets click here.
Quick facts about kidney disease:
- In the last 10 years, the disease has increased by 60%
- Today, roughly 1 in 10 Canadians are affected by the disease.
- For patients with end stage kidney disease getting an organ transplant is the best and most cost-effective treatments
- Knowing the risk factors is beneficial to everyone:
- If you have diabetes or high blood pressure
- If you are of First Nations, Asian, South Asian or African background